Friday 10 June 2011

Revisted: RELIGIOUS ICONOGRAPHY

SEPTEMBER 2008

In the summer of 2008, when I progressed from AS to A2 Photography, we were set a summer project with the title HOMAGE. We were to take photos that were an homage to an existing artist. Most people in my class chose Ansel Adams, Cindy Sherman, or, if they were feeling particularly edgy, David LaChapelle. I, being the person I am, chose to emmulate Giovanni Bellini and recreate four different famous religious scenes; The Madonna and Child, The Baptism, The Blessing and The Crucifixion.

I dragged along a bag of props and a willing friend all over Brighton, and dressed up in various different costumes, whilst instructing my friend how to take the images. I played every character, and later edited the images so that I appeared in each one more than once.

Again, at the time, I thought they were great, and I scoffed when others mentioned how the work could be improved. Now of course, I look at the series and shudder. I was well intentioned, but the whole thing was poorly executed. An awful camera, shoddy composition, no serious planning. Interesting styling though, I was happy with that.


MADONNA AND CHILD

THE BAPTISM

THE BLESSING

THE CRUCIFIXION

These dreadful pictures will serve as my motivation to create something far more impressive and aesthetically pleasing. POWER TO ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment